Active-Time or Turn-Based Battle System

darkshadow2247

Dragoon
Member
Joined
May 25, 2006
Messages
545
Age
37
Location
Zanarkand
Website
www.makemeking.com
Occupation
Communications Technician
RPG Name
Phoenix
there are two basic types of RPG combat, the active-time and the turn-based. which do you think is better and which do you prefer. why?

i personally like the active-time battle system. you have to be quick on your toes to maximize battle damage and what not. you have to be one step ahead of your enemy or you'll wind up on a game-over screen pissed off because you had no reason to save.

and then there's the period of waiting for your characters to regain their composure in which you are helpless to the enemy's attacks. and you sit there pounding every button into your controller trying everything to make your gauge refill. its a new sense of mild-thrill to me. there's also the fact that your attack may be executed a split second before your enemy's saving a character from death-dealing blow. ah yes, i love active-time combat

i dunno, maybe i'm just looking into this thing way too much and need to step away from FF for a few days/weeks.
 
I like both.. not sure which I prefer really. I like the much more strategic play you get with turn-based menu-driven combat, but active-time is quite fun as well.. I mean, the one game where I've enjoyed random battling the most so far is Star Ocean 2, a game that has an active-time battle system. When I've played in one system a lot for a while, it's nice to play some in the other for a bit. It's not a big deal to me :)
 
I can't pick between those two. :D

Active-Time Battle System=Quick playing that you have to be knowlegable on what you're doing, and what'll happen after you do that. Linking up two attacks at a time and whatnot.

Turn-Based Battle System=To plan out a strategy to easily defeat the opponent, and trying to force a pattern out of it.

Meh. Both of them.
 
I also prefer both to not have a favorite. The Star Ocean and Tales series introduced me to active time combat, and I of course had experience in turn-based with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and many more. (Final Fantasy XII will be an active time game, so that looks fun.)

I think they both have good and bad points, of course, but I enjoy them both.
 
I think it is nice to play like in FFX-2... You can choose between WTB or ATB

and FFX-2's was my favourite Active Time Battle style... eventhough the storyline wasn't good, the gaming style was GREAT
 
ATB systems are my favorite. If you set the speed high it makes the battle seem real because everything is so smooth. It also adds more challenge I think because you can't just sit there thinking what do to because you will get attacked by the time you pick something.
 
Active time battle allows your speed to be an effective factor in fights...along with Time magics which can be to or against your favour...
 
I looove slowing Ruby and Emerald down with stop. Its so easy to kill them.
 
Life 3 on thread.

I love atb but since I played final fantasy 10s system I struggled to get back into atb.
I dont like real time very much.

Taking turns and atb is what got me interested in rpgs in the first place. For me its the planning your strategy to defeat an opponent which draws me in.

In real time you are just pounding away at buttons using your dexterity and eye co-ordination to outwit your opponents though I quite enjoyed it in "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles".
 
*casts Auto-life on thread*

I like WTB....but for reasons already mentioned (ie: I plan carefully.) I hate getting pwn'd in an RPG :p

I will begin using ATB actually because I want a challenge. ATB makes for good challenges (I wish I could upload vids to youtube...I'd grind until my PS3 breaks...or until Hydra desides to buy it.) :p :p
 
I like the FF turn base like in 12 where they take it away I couldn't stand it. Thats one of the reasons why I don't really like the game. I got so use to fighting turn base you know?
 
I would go with active all the way for me i just like the flexabillity and when you get timed right in X-2......BOSH!!
 
I prefer the active-time battle system. It eliminates some of the boring elements of the turn-based system, but still retains its tactical nature.
 
No not for me...I like turn base better. Thats what FF is...I don't think they should have changed it.
 
Yeah the turn based I have come accustomed to it totally confused me working with the ATB fighting style.
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top