Dragon Quest VIII

I think some of their oice actors are just random people off the street so that can't be it :p
(okay that was maybe a bit harsh but some are just terrible)
 
Well, didn't they hire English VAs for the characters? I don't think they'd be American, unless they're just doing an extremely good job of mimicking that particular accent. I did hear that they had an entirely new voice cast for the European version though.

The main character in the Dragon Quest games never, ever talks (this is also another way of sticking with tradition. You can see this in alot of other older RPGs, more specifically classic turn-based CRPGs like Mother/Earthbound). This is because of the 'silent hero philosophy', that is, the hero doesn't have too much of a personality* because he's supposed to be a reflection of you. Although the main character in DQVIII had a great deal more back story then meets the eye, if you undergo a certain post-game sidequest...

*Well, they all seem to enjoy 'puff-puffs' at any rate.
 
Zeromus_X said:
Well, didn't they hire English VAs for the characters? I don't think they'd be American, unless they're just doing an extremely good job of mimicking that particular accent. I did hear that they had an entirely new voice cast for the European version though.

The main character in the Dragon Quest games never, ever talks (this is also another way of sticking with tradition. You can see this in alot of other older RPGs, more specifically classic turn-based CRPGs like Mother/Earthbound). This is because of the 'silent hero philosophy', that is, the hero doesn't have too much of a personality* because he's supposed to be a reflection of you. Although the main character in DQVIII had a great deal more back story then meets the eye, if you undergo a certain post-game sidequest...

*Well, they all seem to enjoy 'puff-puffs' at any rate.
Quoted for truth. Especially Angelo. o_0
 
Zeromus_X said:
Well, didn't they hire English VAs for the characters? I don't think they'd be American, unless they're just doing an extremely good job of mimicking that particular accent. I did hear that they had an entirely new voice cast for the European version though.

The main character in the Dragon Quest games never, ever talks (this is also another way of sticking with tradition. You can see this in alot of other older RPGs, more specifically classic turn-based CRPGs like Mother/Earthbound). This is because of the 'silent hero philosophy', that is, the hero doesn't have too much of a personality* because he's supposed to be a reflection of you. Although the main character in DQVIII had a great deal more back story then meets the eye, if you undergo a certain post-game sidequest...

*Well, they all seem to enjoy 'puff-puffs' at any rate.


It is hard to tell with DQ8 if they were English talent or not, I think Yagnus was but I believe the majority are actualy American. I was meaning voice acting in general though.
Yeah you have a strong point with the tradition part right there. Kinda nice how they decided to make it with tradition in mind.
 
I hardly beat..I'll call it the "Secret Trial" without Dragon Soul. It ramps up with easy once you obtain that. :D
 
i got for xmas last year and its not bad, a little childish at times, but not bad, still trying to beat it!!! :D
 
I beat it, it was a great game, the only thing i didn't like about it was the music. The battle music was terrible. Maybe its just because I'm used to such great music from Final Fantasys though. :)
 
Got it last year and already on the Dragoniven Trails right now. Those dragons are tought even at my levels.
 
I've seen this game; I've seen it be played by someone else...

It doesn't look too bad, but I don't think it's something I would buy, rather than rent...(then again, who can beat a game in the time you get to rent it, an RPG in particular?)
 
I bought this game a month ago... And it is very good, indeed. It's not like Final Fantasy, it is a quest-based RPG. I like it, even though it hasn't got a great storyline.
 
One thing about the 'silent hero type' is that Square seems very much to like them...you all forgot about Crono from Chrono Trigger...except for a special ending - and I think the same with other games too. I never really liked the strong silent type hero. I loved Tidus' personality. I got more involved with his storyline than I ever got involved with, say Crono or Hero. I talk, my hero should talk as well :p

Edit: Even if he doesn't know what the hell's going on in Spira! ;tid


I also really liked Locke from VI. and Cloud from VII.
 
Hehe. XD

I was messing around with gamesaves of my Gameshark, and kind of deleted my 120+ hours of Dragon Quest VIII.

......

Guess that gives me time to play it again, huh? =D
 
reasoniamalive said:
I'm @ 16 hrs. only about 10% - but I game fast! =D
Find the purple door, and Slime Hill, and you're basically set for the WHOLE GAME.

XD It's that easy.

You got to get a great deal in the game though to find those two.

So, how far along are you? (In the game. :D)
 
I've played Dragon-quest VIII before and it was pretty good but it was way too old-school. The story was extremely linear and what was with the final boss?

I've played through it only once because you need to level a lot between towns to be even able to stand a chance against the boss, I'm not one who likes to power-level all the time, I like to go through a game without needing to devote hours to levelling up all the time.
 
Yggdrasill said:
I've played Dragon-quest VIII before and it was pretty good but it was way too old-school. The story was extremely linear and what was with the final boss?

I've played through it only once because you need to level a lot between towns to be even able to stand a chance against the boss, I'm not one who likes to power-level all the time, I like to go through a game without needing to devote hours to levelling up all the time.
Did you fight the REAL final boss? Y'know, and get the secret ending? If you do that, it definately sheds some light on the main hero. =D

It's designed to be like the old days. To level up immensely and barely be able to beat the boss. At least "The Trails" play like that anyway.
 
Hydra said:
Did you fight the REAL final boss? Y'know, and get the secret ending? If you do that, it definately sheds some light on the main hero. =D

Wasn't the real final boss Rhapthorne?
Or are you talking about the Dragovian trials?
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top