What draws you to final fantasy and rpgs in general?

dappa

Sage
Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2006
Messages
1,778
Age
48
Location
Zanarkand Ruins (ok I live in the UK)
Occupation
car sales
RPG Name
Leon
I love Final Fantasy like most of us here all do and rpgs in general.

For me what I love about these games is the different types of people from different walks of life who come together to fight a common cause (the evil that is threatening their world).

They all have their own abilities and outlooks on life which compliment each other. I also like the redemption thingy e.g cecil on ff4

I also love the strategy involved in these games.

Thats what draws me in.

What about you guys?
 
Much of what you have said Dappa. The whole package really. The story within each game, with all of it's messages. There are many things within the series, that compel me to play them, some I don't quite understand. It's that inner feeling you get, that just keeps you comming back to the series. Because, after all, it truly is never a final fantasy.
 
Story. Soundtrack. Innovation. References to mythological cultures all around the world. Battle system before FF12 (I know FF11 has the same battle system, but it is great for an online game). The characters.
 
This was a very deep question for me...I'll try to give an answer worthy of such a question... :p

- Adventure: The BIGGEST reason I play RPGs is to get absorbed into a different world. To escape reality for a few hundred hours into a parallel universe as it would seem - with an array of baddies and bosses to fend off and pwn. I think this speaks to the heart of every man (and some women.)

- Relatability: The next reason I play RPGs....at least most, is to be able to relate to the characters and their struggles. I can remember LOVING Squall's character because I thought he was just like me when I was younger. EMO, a loner and wanted to be the best. (Its been a while, but I know that EMO and loner are right.) ;) To explore is only one side of the coin - everyone deep-down wants to know they aren't alone in the fight...better yet - everyone wants someone to fight besides. I would love to be partnered with X's cast of characters most of all! <3

Enemy - This plays off of our spiritual side I believe. To KNOW that there is a powerful foe that is out to destroy us - and to attempt to (with every last ounce of courage and strength) to fight until the death to decide the outcome of our fate.

Endorphins - =^__^= May sound silly, but I love the 'high' you get from pwning an uber-boss or completing a challenging puzzle...etc.

....I may update this. Still doesn't seem quite accurate. But that'll do for now.

Good question Dappa!
 
Another one is that rpgs have a moral behind them aswell.

"Everyone is different, yet they all have something to contribute"

There is something really compelling about a bunch of people teaming up together to fight a common cause.
 
RPG's, including Final Fantasy games, to me always seem to have this 'mystic' feeling about them...something like a mystery you just need to solve, the story being all of the puzzle pieces putting everything together...I especially felt this way with the Xenosaga series, with it's controversial religious elements. Things like that intrigue me, and I get deeply involved with the storyline...

Characters and their relationships to certain events, places, people, and their involvement with the overall story also draw me into whatever game I'm playing...

But that's only how I feel with a few RPG's. With others, the games are just alright for a good story.
 
Doctor Faust said:
RPG's, including Final Fantasy games, to me always seem to have this 'mystic' feeling about them... felt this way with the Xenosaga series, with it's controversial religious elements. Things like that intrigue me, and I get deeply involved with the storyline...

Again, good Doctor - I think that this plays to our spiritual nature. ****not necessarily religious****

Whether or not you believe in God - the Devil - or angels and demons, I am overwhelmed by the sense that there is real, profound warfare going on all around us...'Good-vs-Evil' kind-of warfare. Unless you are insane (or have just taken upon yourself a malicious, insatiable desire to show cruelty towards others) everyone would agree that destroying the planet and all the life on it is a BAD/EVIL idea or plan....this is part of the reason why those who have played FFVII - while it may not be their favorite game - can connect with the characters...including Sephiroth and Jenova in a unique ways. In the same way, Chrono Trigger also owes a lot to Lavos - the destroyer of planets.

Despite what religious values we may or may not have been exposed to, Good-VS-Evil is a reality in our day-to-day life that we should be aware of...and its this reality that draws me into the world(s) of FF.
 
^^ Wow amazing what a game can do to one. Another thing I love about Rpgs, is the fact all the fans they creat, and in a way, like on this forum, fan's can come together, and talk about what the games mean to them, and what they like, and do not like about the game. I wish I could more, but basicly what I think has already been said ^^
 
reasoniamalive said:
Again, good Doctor - I think that this plays to our spiritual nature. ****not necessarily religious****

Whether or not you believe in God - the Devil - or angels and demons, I am overwhelmed by the sense that there is real, profound warfare going on all around us...'Good-vs-Evil' kind-of warfare. Unless you are insane (or have just taken upon yourself a malicious, insatiable desire to show cruelty towards others) everyone would agree that destroying the planet and all the life on it is a BAD/EVIL idea or plan....this is part of the reason why those who have played FFVII - while it may not be their favorite game - can connect with the characters...including Sephiroth and Jenova in a unique ways. In the same way, Chrono Trigger also owes a lot to Lavos - the destroyer of planets.

Despite what religious values we may or may not have been exposed to, Good-VS-Evil is a reality in our day-to-day life that we should be aware of...and its this reality that draws me into the world(s) of FF.

It is not necessarily the 'good versus evil' factors in religious elements that interest me, really. It's a lot more than that...the people who created Xenosaga and the game's storyline stirred up controversy amongst other people and even themselves by putting different views on religion. Not to say that any of those views are REAL--but it upset some people overall. I'm not religious in the least bit, however, so none of it affected me, really. The only thing that I thought was surprising was their view on Mary Magdelene and Jesus Christ (who in episode three they called Yeshua, Jesus's Hebrew name.) But I'm not going to spoil anything--I would rather have everyone else play the games and see for themselves.

Now on the topic of Final Fantasy games (which I should be talking MORE about, seeing as this topic is in general Final Fantasy...) I have noticed that a few of the games have also set their own examples of religion, although somewhat subtle. FFX is a good example of this; in the world of Spira, people worship Yevon, and believers cast hate down upon the Al Behd, who are supposedly disobeying the teachings of Yevon by using forbidden Machina. And the whole Yevon thing itself has secrets, and lies in itself, made even more twisted by the high priests and whatnot...those of you who have played the game already know this. The facts are made even more apparent in FFX-2--although many people thought that game was pretty much fluff, it DOES have deeper elements that make it a good game, if you play it all the way through and pay attention to the story. FFX makes a statement that there is a higher entity out there, but not in the form that we may think it is, and that religion can corrupt our thoughts and make us believe what it only WANTS us to believe.

FF7 was interesting in a way that there is a sort of explanation in how the 'circle of life' works. When people die, they return to the earth, body AND soul, into the never ending lifestream. The lifestream in turn gives itself back to the planet, and supplies all the remaining physical life on the planet. However, there is little or no indication of how the physical life got there on the planet in the first place--unless this theory is implying that the lifestream also replenishes souls and reincarnates them. But FF7 doesn't TOTALLY point out the fact that there MAY be a God--at least in that universe.

But these are just some of the deeper elements that I'm thinking of--the main point is just most likely that there is good and there is evil, and the good exists to fight the evil, and blah blah blah blah. What Reason said. >>
 
I would have to say the story line and the wanting to get to know the new characters. Not to mention its the past games that we have like all played that draws me in to. I know that the last FF games were amazing and I want to see if the new ones will be just the same. I also like that they characters you know are either really mysterious and you don't find out like anything about them until the end of the game and they finaly open your eyes to what has been going on the whole time. Or theres this villian that you just absolutely can't stand! I love that, when something that isn't real can make you "hate" it. Thats good game play. Or a character that you bond with so well its like you have known eachother at one point or another and don't quite remember meeting, but of course you never met...its only a game character.
 
I think the stories are great its like and activity/e-book thingy the story are so big and so well constructed you just get sucked into it next thing S**T its 4am!!!!
 
For me, the characters, storyline, setting, and character/monster designs are what draw me into a good FF game.
 
yes they it was exciting when you had a new party member like in ffvii it was big gaps in between when you have the characters unlike the newer ones you seem to gain your full party fast like XII and X but i suppose it does make better training thata way
 
zen la said:
yes they it was exciting when you had a new party member like in ffvii it was big gaps in between when you have the characters unlike the newer ones you seem to gain your full party fast like XII and X but i suppose it does make better training thata way

Yeah. it used to be a lot more fun spending a lot of time going through the story before you found EVERY main party character. I didn't like it when you had pretty much everybody from the beginning in X (except for Rikku, she didn't come that fast. XP ) 12 took a little more time to get everyone, especially Ashe and Penelo, but yeah, you pretty much met everyone right off the bat.
 
Yeah I know what you are saying and I would have to agree, I like working my way to the people you are suppose to meet and fight with instead of meeting them like right at the beginning of the game. It gives me something else to look forward to.
 
Dappa gave me the notion to put this here:

My argument for playing them is they're a LOT longer than a movie, and if you play RPG's like we do - they're a lot less expensive per hour too.

XII's cost me < $0.25/hour so far XD
 

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
3,700
Messages
123,000
Members
758
Latest member
ithersam
Back
Top